Monday, June 30, 2014

Algeria-GO!

 I touched down once more on African soil towards sunset last night and this time Algeria opened its doors to me without problem;  Carin waited at the airport and drove me through Algers on a balmy Mediterranean summer evening towards the ambassador's residence: a lovely modern  Algiers house, where we were joined for a pleasant dinner with Christina,  the impossibly glamourous and filmstar- looking Norwegian chargĂ© d'affairs , talking much politics and Mali situation  but also plenty of fun girly talk.

Meanwhile something quite extraordinary took place at Hotel Djenne Djenno last night: there were 12 Greek tourists staying at the hotel  and having dinner under the stars! That  is virtually unheard  of course: I would love to think that it is a good sign that tourism is about to return, but alas it must be regarded as a freak occurence...I was in frequent contact with Baba in the hotel and this morning they left without any problems, alhamdilulla!

Tonight is the show-down between Algeria and Germany in the Worldcup quarter finals: it would have been fun to stay but I will be winging my way to Bamako towards an uncertain few months: decisions must be made about our future in Djenne and at the hotel in particular.  Should I stay or should I go?

3 Comments:

Blogger mary said...

12 greeks sounds like a good omen. I am sure that you still have a lot to offer to many people in Mali but at some point you do also need to think about what you want to do with your life as it is not always enough to be helping others. A lot of altruism peppered with selfishness maybe.Idealism and the belief that things will improve and that you can enhance peoples lives is not always enough. From a personal perspective I would love you to stay in Djenne for when I can come and stay again, to continue the voice from the ground in your brilliant blogs, to continue producing wonderful fabric with maliMali,to say nothing of all that amazing work at the library. Big decisions. Take your time. Noting is forever.Mary

9:20 PM  
Blogger Gilliane said...

Sophie, Mary wrote some wise words about making such a momentous decision. On a more down to earth note: ALGERIA PLAYED A BRILLIANT MATCH and were unlucky to lose. G xxx

6:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice sort of blog

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home