Monday, August 05, 2013

One foot in Mali, one in Europe...


My European visit this year began in  London, where I was relieved to deliver safely the hard drive containing two years of digitization work of the Djenne Manuscripts to the British Library.
I then jumped on a plane bound for Sweden, and have arrived at my childhood Paradise Torekov on the Swedish West coast where I am having a dreamlike time in the bosom of my family- that is all my cousins and their numerous off spring.
Nevertheless, I keep a constant eye on developments in Mali via Malijet and telephone conversations with my Keita- was disappointed that IBK did not win outright in the first round. Concerned about the rumour of 400 000 distroyed or illegible votes in the first round- how can that happen??? Mali is crawling with thousands of international election observers, surely they don't just observe the voting centres but they keep an eye on the whole process, including what happens later with the votes? It will possibly be a close run thing in the second round...

But yesterday, far from the concerns of Malian politics, my cousin Lasse and I sailed to Halland's Vadero under a cloudless sky!

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:02 AM  
Blogger David said...

This sounds and looks like a different Sophie from the one confined to bed with possible recurrence of malaria last Thursday - but I'm delighted. Not sure I've ever seen so much leg from you.

Your blog of course gives the weird impression that the election finally happened without you (which it did, in a way). You could spell out again if you have the time why the main man is the right choice (as I believe you thought).

11:03 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

David,I started to reply here, but it became such a long paragraph that it has become a blogpost!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home