Wednesday, May 22, 2013

When The Music's Over


I have been too busy to do more than just register that Ray Manzarek has left us. But tonight, as I sat by Anne Maria’s pool in her lovely Bamako garden, nursing a Spritzer, it suddenly sank in.
Manzarek -with Morrison of course- WAS the Doors. But while Morrison created the image of the Doors- sexy, west coast ultimate cool- as well as the Door’s startling and fine lyrics,  Manzarek with his inimitable keyboards created the sound of the Doors, totally new, and now totally untouched by time. Nothing will ever sound and look like them- they were Gods.

Manzarek was 74- I guess I better up the level of those of My Generation ( I had put it between 52 and 72).  I count myself totally and devotedly of this generation, and can hardly exclude my heroes!
RIP Ray. Although you may have left us, you are still with us through what you have created. That is the glory of it!


Before I sink
Into the big sleep
I want to hear
The scream of the butterfly
...

Music is your only friend
Until the end...


2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid (Raining Acorns) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Susan Scheid said...

Sophie: Thank you for your good wishes! I am going on a trip of sorts, that is away from blogging and somewhat from the internet a bit. But of course I had to come by and pay tribute here, and applaud this sentiment, particularly: "you are still with us through what you have created. That is the glory of it!" Yes, indeed. Fond regards, as always . . .

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home