Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Back in Djenne after a cram packed week in Bamako. After the humble beginnings in the Catholic Mission, the week progressed rapidly in an upward direction and I swiftly found myself in increasingly splendid surroundings, culminating at a dinner at the Danish Ambassador’s palatial residence on the Niger in the company of various Malian and Danish luminaries to do with Culture. I sat next to Cheik Oumar Sissoko, the distinguished Malian film maker and ex Minister of Culture under ATT. He was fun and we talked about our favourite films, predictably… it became clear that he had not seen Babette’s Feast, which we all decided was the best Danish Film of all time… The lady to the right of me is Vibeke,who was also at the dinner. We are standing outside Sylvie’s shop ‘Ethnic Women’ and as MaliMali aficionados will immediately notice, Vibeke has just bought herself a ‘Parka Dress’, which suits her very well I think, while I am wearing the ‘Sophie Dress’.

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

Am I right that there should be photos to accompany the post? I'll look forward to that. You travel so easily among such diverse circles. I admire that, for I would likely be a bit tongue-tied. That said, I could certainly join in in applauding the delicious Babette's Feast

11:14 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Photo now up as you will have noticed. (For the benefit of Mary who complained, quite rightly, in the comments of the last post that MaliMali should not only use reed thin models).Yes indeed Babette's Feast is one of the greatest ever! although talking of Danish films I wanted to include some of Lars von Triers', particularly 'The Idiots' but I was shot down...

11:34 PM  
Blogger David said...

The Danes need to give you a crash course in Dreyer. And is Lars too tough for the diplomats' tastes? Anyway, no doubt about it, Babette's Feast is the most fun and the most sensuous.

It is hard to imagine our mutual friend being tongue-tied, don't you think? She is never blog-tied, that's for sure.

7:43 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Yes indeed David, I can't imagine our Susan at a loss for words!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Susan Scheid said...

Speechless . . .

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home