Thursday, January 26, 2012


Nevertheless, the bright colours are much appreciated by the participants. Here is some more of their work. I rather like the rabbit, which apparently illustrates a poem about just that: a rabbit. It is hard to know how to proceed now. I am hoping to rekindle the fine work that was once produced here. I do not want us to produce kitsch. We want to set up a calligraphy studio at the Djenne Manuscript Library and hope to sell some of the work to tourists. I think I know what they want. Do I enter the stage and tell people here what to do? In my opinion the work is very rough. On the other hand, some of it has a naïve charm. Perhaps it should not be measured and perfectly symmetrical? I do not know. Their ancestors managed to do it, so why not they? Hmmm, let’s wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home