Tuesday, February 01, 2011


Baba and Maman have been complaining for years about having to wear Fulani shepherd's outfits as working uniforms. Every time they had to go into town they changed clothes- they would rather be dead than be seen wearing the beautiful embroidered boubous I had chosen for them. For a start they are not Fulani, and secondly, they are modern Malian men, not shepherds! So finally I relented, however adorable I thought they had looked. Now they are wearing shirts from the bogolans we are making, and that is a good idea too, of course...

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Look how they're smiling! And well they might, the shirts look marvellous on them. Besides, they clearly worship you as a demigoddess...while Fatou evidently has a different kind of pride, the gorgeous thing. How's Petit Baba? Still as smiley and as willing as ever to help?

11:42 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

Ah, Petit Baba...
it is good that you remind me. He was the one who was always in charge of the animals. He appeared from nowhere, a little boy of ten perhaps, when our first animal arrived- Dolly the Donkey. But Petit Baba is the one who killed my beloved Napoleon through riding him too madly in my absence. Ever since then he has been forbidden to get near the horses. He is helping Baba in the kitchen wiping dishes etc. Not quite the same thing...also he is no longer a sweet little boy, he is an awkward teenager. That is of course not his fault. I am glad you reminded me of Petit Baba, I should try and make him feel more at home and I should try and give him some more responsibilities.. more later. Thank you darling!xxxSophie

7:24 PM  
Blogger David said...

What a sad tale of change...it happens everywhere. Send love from us to 'our' Dolly, please.xx

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home