Tuesday, May 06, 2008


On the train towards Sweden:
North Germany speeds by, with its gently rolling fields of plenty, dotted with villages where teenagers play football on greens strewn with dandelions. On the horizon the wind -power turbines wheel gently in the breeze, like giant long-limbed athletes doing slow, elegant wheelies.
And what do I do? I look at my pictures from Djenne… I left my camera in Amersfoort, true to a recent increase in scatterbrained-ness. Therefore, for the next month we shall revisit the archives… and look at things quite unrelated to the discourse at hand. Such as these young accountancy students in Djenne, for instance, who turned up one day to visit the hotel. Since I was feeling uncharacteristically friendly that day I took them on a guided tour of the hotel. They were particularly impressed with the bathrooms and intrigued by the Chaises Anglaises…

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

How stylish they look, like all Malian women.

Don't forget you can show the world your temporary London lodgings, and your goddaughter, even if you've left the camera behind.

Dxxx

11:21 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Hello, I've just discovered your blog, beautiful pics & interesting read. May look you up in Djenne some time!

10:09 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Hi Pauline,
wow! What a great blog, and thanks for looking at mine! I am flattered that you think my pictures are good- it is kind but they are not half as good as yours!
Well,moving on, all the niceties over and done with, I suggest that we link our blogs, if only I find a boffin who knows how to do it.
Do pop over to Djenne!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home